Think of your air ducts as the lungs of your home –– whatever they breathe in, you breathe in as well. While air flows through your ductwork, so do things like dust, dirt, mold, and bacteria. And although these particles are out of sight, you’ll feel their effects if you have allergies or trouble breathing. If you experience respiratory issues, call us to determine how clean your air ducts can help you breathe easier.
Don’t forget to ask us about our air cleaners & filtration systems for cleaner, healthier air.
Benefits of Hiring a Duct Cleaning Service
As mentioned, your air ducts carry more than just air through your house; they can carry all the nasty things you don’t want to breathe in like dust mites, pet dander, and allergens. If you don’t think air duct cleaning is worth the money, consider these benefits.
Air Duct Cleaning Removes Dust Mites and Reduces Allergens
It’s shocking to think about, but every year the average house accumulates nearly 40 pounds of dust, dirt, and allergens. These particles collect in your home’s ductwork and pollute the air you breathe in. Cleaning your ducts regularly is the best way to reduce the buildup of these particles and improve the air quality in your home.
Duct Cleaning Reduces Indoor Air Pollution
Air pollution comes from many sources, most of which affect your health and well-being. Consider having pets, using chemical cleaning agents, dust buildup, and poor circulation, and you can see how quickly the air in your home can become polluted. If you spend much of your time indoors, you owe it to yourself to breathe in the cleanest air possible, which is where air duct cleaning comes in.
Duct Cleaning Increases Your HVAC Efficiency
Remember that 40 pounds of gunk that builds up in your air ducts? Well, that buildup can impede the airflow from your HVAC system, which makes it less efficient. Getting your air ducts professionally cleaned removes these obstructions and allows your HVAC system to work at total capacity again.
If you can’t remember the last time you had your air ducts cleaned, or if you’ve never had them cleaned, call us for an inspection and consultation.
Signs You Need Air Duct Repair
You may not realize it, but nearly 25% of the air in your HVAC’s ductwork is lost through leaks and poorly fitted ducts. This air loss isn’t just an inconvenience; it costs you hundreds of dollars in wasted energy every year. Here are a few signs that your air ducts need repair or replacement.
- Noisy HVAC: Although it’s typical for your HVAC system to make noise when running, if it becomes annoyingly loud, or if you hear rattling sounds, it could be that the joints holding your ducts together are loose or damaged.
- Higher Energy Bills: Some air leaking from your ducts is normal; however, if you begin noticing that your energy bills are climbing, it means you have too much leakage through your ducts, which makes your HVAC use more energy.
- Uneven Heating or Cooling: If you notice that some rooms are cooler or hotter than the rest, it could mean that the ductwork is faulty and can’t send enough air evenly throughout the house.
- Too Much Dust in the House: While it’s nearly impossible to live in a dust-free house when there’s too much dust buildup, it could be that there’s a problem in your ducts.
- Mold & Mildew Odor: Like dust buildup, if you notice that your house smells musty or moldy, it could mean that mold and mildew have built up in your ducts over weeks or months. The presence of mold can cause your furniture to deteriorate more quickly and lead to a host of health problems.
To find out if you need ductwork replacement, call one of our highly-trained experts for an inspection.
Keep your home at the perfect temperature with our thermostat repair service.
What to Expect From Air Duct Cleaning
Many Slidell homeowners don’t ever think about their home’s ductwork; however, this system requires regular cleaning to provide you with healthy air and ensure your HVAC system runs efficiently. If you’ve never called a professional air duct cleaning service, here’s what you can expect.
Sometimes, the cleaning service cuts an access port in the box on top of your HVAC system; this is the ‘origin’ point of the ducts. Once the technician has access, they insert flexible brushes and whips powered by compressed air into the ducts. Many brushes spin and have a vacuum attachment to suck up loose dust and debris.
For most homes, duct cleaning takes about four hours. The best part about getting your ducts cleaned is that people with allergies will notice the cleaner air almost immediately.