Suppose you’re experiencing furnace issues during the cold season. In that case, it’s good to know that you have a reliable, family-owned furnace contractor who’s available seven days a week with expert service. Whether you’re in Slidell, Mandeville, Covington, Lacombe, Ponchatoula, or Abita Springs, we’re standing by, ready to provide expert furnace service at a reasonable price.
You can count on Albers Air Conditioning when you need air duct services.
Signs You Need Furnace Replacement
Nobody likes the thought of shelling out for a major repair like a furnace, but like any machine, your furnace will eventually fail and must be replaced. Fortunately, most furnaces give off signs that they’re dying, giving you ample time to call a furnace contractor for repair or replacement before it completely fails.
So, what are the signs of impending furnace failure? Read on.
- Age: The average furnace lasts about 18 years, so if yours is 15 years old or over, it’s past its prime, and you should begin thinking about replacement sooner rather than later.
- Increase in Heating Bill: It’s not uncommon for utility providers to gradually raise rates; however if you notice a sudden spike in your heating bill, it may mean that your heater is damaged and working harder than ever to keep you comfortable.
- Frequent Repairs: Furnaces require more repairs during the last few years of their life than at any other time. So, add up the cost of the repairs you’ve paid for in the previous two years, and you’ll probably see that it’s more cost-effective for you to invest in a new system.
- Your Furnace Makes Odd Noises: When you turn on your furnace, does it make strange sounds you’ve not heard before? Do you hear grinding, squealing, or banging? If so, you must call a furnace repair service as soon as possible.
- The Thermostat Doesn’t Keep You Comfortable: Do you find that some of your rooms are too hot while others are too cold? If you find yourself constantly fiddling with the thermostat, but you can’t get comfortable no matter what, it could mean that your furnace isn’t able to distribute heat through the house like it used to.
- The Burner Flame is Yellow Instead of Blue: If the burner flame is yellow instead of blue, it could mean that your furnace is producing carbon monoxide or at least not burning as cleanly as it should.
If your furnace exhibits any of the above signs, furnace replacement probably isn’t that far off.
Tips for Maintaining Your Furnace
We get it. You find furnace maintenance boring, and there are a million other things you could be doing. But don’t let this task fall by the wayside because failing to maintain your furnace can cost you higher energy bills and expensive repairs. Here are a few quick and easy tips to ensuring your furnace is in tip-top form.•
- Change the Filter Regularly: The quickest and easiest — and arguably one of the most important — things you can do to keep your furnace running efficiently is to make sure you always have a clean filter. Dirty air filters impede airflow, which makes your furnace work harder than it should, reducing its lifespan and increasing your energy bills.
- Use Your Senses: Keep your ears and nose peeled for anything out of the ordinary. If you start hearing noises, you’ve not heard before, such as grinding, squealing, or banging, or if you smell foul odors, call a furnace technician for an inspection.
- Clean the Drain Tube: If you’re using a natural gas or propane furnace, it naturally creates water as a by-product. While some of that water dissipates as steam, some drain out into a pan via a drain tube. Make sure the drain tube is clean and free from obstruction. Backed-up water can cause damage to the flame sensor. If the tube is filthy, you can use compressed air and white vinegar.
- Add Insulation: One of the best things you can do to keep your furnace running great and extend its lifespan is to take some of the load off. Beefing up your home’s insulation so it holds in more heat goes a long way towards reducing your furnace’s heating load.
- Call a Pro: While it’s good to do furnace maintenance yourself, you’ll need a professional to get the system in the best possible shape. A pro knows what to look for and can often spot minor issues and fix them before they become expensive repairs later. Experts recommend calling for professional furnace maintenance once a year, preferably in the fall.
Albers Air Conditioning doesn’t just perform expert furnace installation; call us when you need dependable air conditioner repair.
Which Heating System Is Best for You?
When it’s time to replace your furnace, you’re probably confused by all the choices available. One of the brands we recommend is Daikin. Daikin offers a diverse selection of heating products to meet the needs of the environments where they’re used, from furnaces and condensing boilers to far-infrared electric heaters.
Whether it’s an electric furnace, gas furnace, or oil furnace, you can count on Daikin for performance and reliability. For more information, call us for a consultation.