3 Clear Indicators There is a Problem With the AC Unit
Spring is here, and with it comes the warmth and humidity this area of the world is renowned for. Air conditioners are essential for home comfort in a climate such as this. AC units work hard to keep inhabitants of a house comfortable, but as Louisiana citizens know, nothing can last forever. This article covers a few signs that an air conditioner may show that mean it needs repair or replacement.
Sounds and Smells of an Unhealthy Air Conditioner
- Banging Sounds: This can be a problem with the fan or blower, or something may be stuck in the air ducts. If the sounds tend to happen when the unit turns on, there may be a compressor issue.
- Wheezing or Whistling Sounds: This could be a duct or ventilation issue due to damage.
- Burnt Smells: There may be a problem with the wiring or with the motor on the unit. This needs to be checked out immediately.
- Musty or Damp Smells: This can indicate that the cooling coils are not working properly. The moisture in the ducts and the AC may lead to mold growth.
Abnormally Expensive Energy Bills
As equipment ages, it just does not work as well. If the AC unit is older, say more than 10 years old, it may be time to upgrade to a new, energy-efficient AC. The air conditioning unit is likely wearing out if the energy bills are climbing despite the weather. An older system has to work much harder to cool the air to the same temperature. This increases energy use and therefore increases the energy bill.
Miscellaneous Signs of AC Problems
Unfortunately, not all air conditioning problems exhibit the same way, like how illnesses can affect different people differently. There are more symptoms that an HVAC unit needs replacement than those that are listed above. They include:
- Air blowing hot
- Air blowing too cold
- Ice on cooling coils
- Inconsistent temperatures
- Inconsistent airflow
- Unit cycling on and off continuously
- Unit continuously running
- The unit cannot keep up with the thermostat
No matter what the problem, a professional HVAC technician can help. If a homeowner gets themselves set up with a regular maintenance plan, they may become aware of the problem before it becomes an issue in the middle of the hottest day of the summer. The experts are here to serve and are ready to help install a new AC unit at a moment’s notice.
About Albers Air Conditioning
Albers Air Conditioning has served the Mandeville, LA area for more than 30 years. As a local, family-owned, and operated company, they understand the need to be on time and upfront pricing. Call them today for all HVAC services.